Sunday, August 23, 2009

Mi primera Fin de Semana

Friday August 21.... As I am standing alone making my organic cup of coffee in La Escuela, this guy come up to me and starts talking to me. His name is Jessy and he's American....
Its Jessy's last day here in San cristobal and hes alone! So yeah! Lets meet after classes and Lets hang out! (Baby, Im sorry :)....)

From 1:00 pm to 9:00 pm, we walk and walk and walk and Im not kidding, we stop probably TWICE! I got introduced to San Cristobal and I acknowledged the fact that My heart is here, My heart is in San Cristobal.
I go into three or four markets. I notice the EXTENSIVE amount of Indigenous people that live here in S.C among th tourists and the more modernized Mexican residents.
These Indigenous people are the essence of the state "Chiapas". Before the Conquistadores (the Spaniards coming into Mexico and colonizing it), these people used to live here and speak their own language. There come from different tribes, all falling under "MAYANS".
And YES! theyre here, they walk the streets of San Cristobal and sell what theyre mostly famous for..... corn and artisanas.
They make clothes, robes, bandanas, bags, bracelets, pen holders, accesories for tables..... you name it.... So you see them MAKING (with their own hands) these things and walking down the streets and AGGRESIVELY trying to sell "uno lapicero por favor??? una bolsita por favor???".

All throughout, I have not seen a single MAN with these women ... What I see is mothers and little little children! Very little children, aged 4 to 7, selling on the streets.... and heres the explanation.... the Men of the Chiapas State are mostly known for their love of politics, religion, and Polygamy! So they marry 3 or 4 women and make sooo many children and send them off to make the dineros! The women have no say in this,... this is an arrangement between the father of the woman and the husband -to- be... in exchange for WHAT??? For land, for corn, or for money!!!!

AT 9:00 pm, as we are having dinner, we meet another couple, siiting on the table to out right FROM the schoolll..... so, SHALL WE??? YES WE SHALL!!!


So here I am, sitting and having dinner with three americans... all sharing the LOVE of Mexico!
We have dinner, and then we go to a bar and have more drinks!
All pictures are gonna be posted... so BE READY for some colors!!!! The markets are unbelieeevable!

I wake up at 7:00 am today, and I meet all three americans at 8:00 am in the Zocelo to enjoy our day outside San Cristobal.....
We take a taxi and start our drive.


San Cristobal is at 2,120 meters above sea level, and we head down to 400meters above seal level. To another city called Chiapa de Corzo.... mainly for visting Canyon de Sumidero.

A two-hour boat trip, down a HUGE river that cuts through alllll of the Chiapas region to the Gulf of Mexico and Guatemala!
The things I saw!! OF LORD the things I saw!!!!
Okay, how may I describe it..... Its basically a river surrounded by HUUUGE mountains.. and let me describe HUGE.... on the left side is a mountain thats 1000 meters high, and on the right side is a mountain thats 1000 meters high!
(obviously, this used to be one mountain, but with time, it split...and gave us this unimaginable view)
and here you go... Nature at its best... I saw Pellicans, I saw Monkeys on trees, I saw TWO crocodiles, I saw butterfliers, birds, and I saw LIFE.

THIS was my first "weekend" here in San Cristobal.

I forgot to mention one minor detail, we all had made a deal in the morning... that the WHOLE day , the communication will be in SPANISH ONLY, otherwise we'll have to pay 10 pesos per word!
YES! I did it! I spent my whole day, speaking in spanish.
I spent my day learning, loving, and LIVING.

5 comments:

  1. WOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWW!!! Absolute EVERYTHING!!!! you're LOCAAAAAAAAAA!!! PENELOPPPPAAAAAA!!! w l'ete est ENFIN la!!!! keep the CRAZY stories coming!!! i miss u but at the same time can't stop thinking of how happy u are with the mehicanos and want you to keep enjoying it!!! and por favor dont spend more than a day without writing!!! bye for now my loca sista!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW lannouna... so much! it sounds SO happy... and YOU SOUND SO alive.. DALE DURO A LA VIDA! (check that out)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Niiiice sister!!

    Very very nice!! i envy thee!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. just went through your new posted pictures and joey and i agree: BRAVO BRAVA!!! man you got it!! you got it!!!your pictures are amazing!!! and one question: have u lost weight? coz i think u did!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. baydee you are so not the baydee that left dubai!! Aiwa baydee! SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO happy your happy!!

    ReplyDelete